There are many different reasons why you would want to block websites on your computer or from appearing on your browser. Some websites could be spreading viruses, contain content that is inappropriate for your children or were caught trying to steal your personal data. While you may well be more than capable of avoiding these websites, that doesn’t stand true for every one who accesses your computer or browses on it. In such cases, it might be best to block these websites using good technologies and software.
There are many ways to block those pesky websites. You can choose to block websites only on specific browsers, the entire operating system, or indeed your network router. Here’s how to block websites on a browser like Google Chrome.
- Click on the three horizontal lines at the top right corner of the browser
- Select “More Tools”
- Select “Extensions”
- Select “Get More Extensions”
- Type “Block Site”in the search bar located at top right corner
- Click “Free” to download it to Chrome and then click in the permission box to give the extension permission to access your browsing data.
- Click “Extension Settings” after the extension loads
- Click inside the “Block Site” check box and then add the URLs of the websites you want to block in the List of Blocked Sites section. Click “Add Page.” You would need to add them individually
- Click inside the “Enable Authentication” box so that a check mark appears. Then add a password you want to use to unblock the site
- Repeat Steps 1-4 in “Block Sites”
- Search for the “StayFocusd” extension in the search results
- Click “Free” to download the extension to Chrome and then click in the permission box to give the extension permission to access your browsing data
- An icon will appear on your browser – it looks like a round, analog clock
- Navigate to the site you want to block by entering its URL into the browser window
- Click the StayFocusd icon, which looks like a round, analog clock and is located to the right of the browser window to launch StayFocusd.
- Click “Advanced Options” to set up an amount of time you want the websites to be blocked or to set days of the week when you can access the site, if applicable
Blocking Websites on iOS devices
- Find the “Settings” app on the Home screen of your iOS device.
- Select “General”.
- Enable “Restrictions” and set a passcode if Restrictions aren’t already there.
- Under “Allowed Content”, select “Websites”.
- Now select “Limit Adult Content” under “Allowed Websites”. That will automatically block many (but not all – they change too quickly – adult websites. To block specific websites:
- Select “Add a Website”… under the “Never Allow” section.
- Type in the full URL of the website you’d like to block and select “Done” on the keyboard.
Altering your computer’s hosts file to block a website can be too technical for the every day person. Avoid doing so unless you feel comfortable making the modifications and are willing to take risks. Proceed with caution. Call iRISEmedia if you need assistance.
About Alex Noudelman
Alex Noudelman is an educator, coach and Digital Marketing Manager with over 5 years of experience. Alex enjoys and strives to motivate others to better themselves professionally and on a personal note. Feel free to contact him if you have any questions or would like a specific topic covered.